Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can you use vinegar in a washing machine to eliminate soap sludge?

if so how much do you use? how often would you use this ? would you do a hot wash? and would you put the vinegar in where the fabric softener usually goes?Can you use vinegar in a washing machine to eliminate soap sludge?
wouldn't recommendCan you use vinegar in a washing machine to eliminate soap sludge?
Well, IF the soap sludge is due to you having hard water or water with lots of mineral content, yeah, the white vinegar will help. Hot wash and put the vinegar right in with the wash water.





After doing the vinegar wash, check the machine and see if the ';sludge'; is improved. If not, try using a one load dose of dishwasher detergent (powder is best) and hot water. My appliance guy recommends that you run one load a month with the stuff especially if you have a front loader to help keep the screens clean and other gunk at bay.





And if your machine has a load sensor that tells it how many clothes are in it so it knows how much water to use, you're going to have to put some things in with either treatment. The vinegar wash wouldn't hurt anything and does help keep darks from fading. But the dishwasher detergent will have bleaching tendencies and I'd put stuff in there that some bleaching won't hurt. When I run my load about once a month, I do my husbands shop rags, dog bedding or doggie bath towels.
I just use Simple Green to clean it out. Also, I put baking soda in with my wash (Arm and Hammer). It's cheap I get a five pound bag at COSTCO for like $4.48 or something like that.





Simple Green works wonders on many things and it is bio (but it is not a germ killer it is a cleaner). You can use it on the lawnmower, the tires and rims. The railings that you touch and get black from your hands. The weed whacker. Tools.





I don't know if this will solve your problem but it can't hurt.
I prefer soda crystals - don't smell so much
Soda and fresh lemon juice. Run an empty wash.
Yes you can use vinegar. Vinegar helps (HELPS) break down soap scum. I usually put it in where the detergent goes, and also put some in a Downy ball to be sure there is still some in the rise cycle.





Hot water is best.
What kind of Machine do you have? Is it a front loading machine? Also if so there is something called Fresh in stores for that reason. Also vinegar could be used, but I don't. I use just hot water in a double rinse cycle, and or a cup of bleach works in my machine, but then I have a front loading one also. Also if you are using powdered soap, stop, it causes build up...at least it did for me and caused this issue. But, look in stores for Fresh and there is something else to but cannot think of the name of it you can use. Good luck, and you might want to think of cutting back on using some detergent also.
No, it will corrode your machine.





Also it won't remove soap sludge. It would only remove limescale
Yes you can. I put it in with dark washes as it helps stop colour fading. It also reduces 'bobbling'. I fill a dosing ball with white distilled vinegar and just pop it in the machine, and no you can't smell it when the cycle has finished.
Ordinary washing soda, bag cost about 50 pence @asda. Put whole bag in tub, close door, very hot wash, all gunge gone, drains etc clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment