Thursday, January 7, 2010

I wash my fish aquarium with soap help!!?

I have heard that cleaning the tank with soap can be lethal to a fish?? wat should I do NOW =(I wash my fish aquarium with soap help!!?
put it in the tub and let it soak with baking soda (one handful for every 5 gallons) to remove any soap scum for a couple of hours. Then run water through it to rinse it well for half an hour.


AI wash my fish aquarium with soap help!!?
I do believe that using soap is a big big no no. Can you take your fish out of that tank and put them into another? Then rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Even a bucket would hold your fish until you get your aquarium rinsed out. That is what I would do. Good luck. I am not a fish expert. My qualification is I have an Oscar that I have managed to keep alive for over 4 years now. Good luck with your fish. Remember don't use soap, okay?
Rinse it with a solution of vinager to clear out the soap; and then with plain water very very thoroughly. Unless somebody has a better idea.
Oh no......................................鈥?br>




OK - get the fish out of there IMMEDIATELY! If you have another tank - put them in there. If you do not (and depending on their size) put them in a 5g bucket (you can get one at the hardward store). CLEAN the tank with pure Ammonia mixed with water (about 1/4 of your mixture because this will nitrify as you recycle).





Do you have anyone who has a tank that could house your fish for you until you get things under control again? Someone who you know has a disease free tank?





This is a sucky situation and takes some time to clear out so don't be in a rush. Write to me directly out here if you need more details (And believe me - there are many more details to understand here).
That was a definate opps,it should be fine rinsed out really good prob. rocks %26amp; all, if it bubble when you are refilling it you havent rinsed well enough.
Quickly transfer the fish out to another pail of water!!


Make sure the aquarium is soup-free then fill it up with water again and transfer ur fish back...


Good luck!!
There is something they sell at Wal-Mart in a spray bottle that is supposed to be totally safe for cleaning tanks. I'm sorry I don't know what it's called. I just remember the liquid is blue and it says one the label safe for fist tanks. I use that for my fish tanks, reptile tanks, and any other tank I use. It works really well and so far I haven't had any illnesses. I do not generally need any kind of cleaner to clean the inside of my fish tank other than just scrubbing really hard, though I have used it in fish tanks some.
i just hope u rinsed it very well.dont do it again.
If you havent already done so, you should get a PH level kit. You can pick them up at any Walmart or common pet store. If the level is out of whack, then you definately need to put your fish in a container,such as a pitcher, of filtered, treated, room-temp. water. Next, you should completely empty your tank. By using a common kitchen strainer ( like for noodles), Boil a big pot of water on your stove, and pour the water over the rocks in the strainer, while shaking the strainer. Do this until you are sure the water that is coming out the bottom is running totally clear.


Then, use about a half capfull of regular laundry bleach into the empty tank. Wash out the tank with tap water that is as warm as u can stand. When it looks good, stick your nose above the tank, and see if you can smell ANYTHING. If all rinse water is coming out clear, and there is no chemical or offensive odor, then it is clean.


As long as the fish are not constantly subjected to soaps or harsh chemicals, usually, they will cleanse themselves with their natural slimecoat. Hope this helps. :)
  • viruses
  • 1 comment:

    1. I also washed my 2.5 gal tank with soap, but from one of those sponges that had it already prepackaged, and I didn't realize until too late. Is there any way to kill whatever is in the soap that makes it lethal? P.S. This is not an urgent situation like yours, but I was hoping to get Christmas fish. I was just cleaning it a few months after my old betta died, (R.I.P. Speedo) to get the dust and stuff out. Any ideas?

      ReplyDelete