Sunday, December 20, 2009

I used a cheap dish washing soap and now my dishes are etched with a white film that wont come off?

What can I do to remove the white film???I used a cheap dish washing soap and now my dishes are etched with a white film that wont come off?
I tried the Walmart brand soap and it did this to my glasses. I could not get them clean and just replaced them :( ANd I went back to using Cascade which does a good job of cleaning my dishes and glasses without damaging them.I used a cheap dish washing soap and now my dishes are etched with a white film that wont come off?
I hate to say it but are your dishes dishwasher proof? If so it should say on them. I doubt if the choice of powder caused the problem. All DW powder is pretty agressive. It has to be to do the job. Glass items also tend to etch over time. You can't cure the damage. Think of it as an excuse to buy a nice new, dishwasher proof, dining set.
Eskie is right it is deposits usually as a result of not keeping the salt level up so the water softening unit in the dishwasher can not work and so deposits occur. I live in a very soft water area but will notice the same thing if I have allowed the salt to run out. Top up the salt and use a green scouring pad on the plates before washing again and they will be fine.
It isn't your dish soap, it is mineral deposits in your water. You can try soaking them in Lime Away, CLR or good old hot white vinegar to remove it. But, if it is permanently etched it will not come off.

No comments:

Post a Comment