Thursday, December 24, 2009

Why do MOST British people not rinse off the soap bubbles after washing the dishes?

I am married to a British man and it infuriates me he doesn't wash the soap bubbles off the dishes when he does dishes. And it isn't just him - most people's houses I have been to, while watching them wash the dishes they scrub the dishes and then put them directly in the drainer to dry. Why?? It makes the dishes all spotty and the last thing I want to do is eat off a plate that has dried soap on it! How disgusting and unhygienic! Just wondered if someone could shed some light on this or have any comments. Be nice please!Why do MOST British people not rinse off the soap bubbles after washing the dishes?
I ran across this while I was living in Devon. The only serious issue I saw was the potential consumption of surfactants, emulsifiers and such. However, I haven't found any evidence that the small amounts in question pose any health risk. On the other hand, there are some of us who are extremely sensitive to the taste it leaves on dishes. In some cases I could discern the motivation was a kind of frugality, or more kindly stated, a desire not to waste. I resorted to 1) rinsing them again when others retired or 2) washing them myself.Why do MOST British people not rinse off the soap bubbles after washing the dishes?
Yes it's disgusting and I have rinsed my dishes for years as I can't stand the taste of soap on them...especially if having a drink...YUK. My family thought I was mad! Report Abuse

Also


You say that MOST British people don't rinse, but that is a generalisation. I suspect that more do than you realise. SOme people may just not think about it and others may be trying to save water. Report Abuse

What is wrong with the traditional English bathroom? (didn't really know we had one) Everybody I know rinses off after they have had a bath. I use the shower over the bath to rinse off. Report Abuse

Well, I don't know if this is valid for all British in general.But, now that I remember, I have never understood how they are managing to rinse their body after taking the bath,in a traditional english bathroom.


Maybe the amount of surfactants that rests in our body,is not dangerous for our health, but I feel something strange,just thinking of that.


A possible justification of this behaviour could be the old belief that a glass of water is enough for a ladie's toilet!





Katerina
maybe that is the British custom. Different countries has different customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment