Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is washing your hands with soap in cold water an effective method to kill bacteria?

I have read that washing your hands with warm water and soap is effective but what about cold water? My work location only has cold water. Should I pursue getting a hot water supply run? I'm in a small office enviroment.Is washing your hands with soap in cold water an effective method to kill bacteria?
The benefits of having hot water include 1) it is more comfortable and 2) the soap tends to suds up better.





Most of the bacteria you are wanting to rid yourself of are removed from the physical action of washing your hands, and not the soap itself. Antibacterial soap is bad for the environment, so I try not to use it (or a lot of it). If you are worried, I would keep some gel sanitizer at your desk and use that when you return from the restroom.





But in a nutshell... the action of scrubbing your hands (30 seconds, or two rounds of the happy birthday song) will make your hands clean.Is washing your hands with soap in cold water an effective method to kill bacteria?
I have heard that either hot, scorching water or cold water are more effective. Warm water actually carries more bacteria. Regardless, handwashing with water and a good antibacterial soap greatly reduces your chance of sick and bacteria. So, wash away! And, you should pursue hot water in your office just for sake of emergencies and occasional necessity.
I have read that cold water is actually better than hot.





Having said that you should have a hot water supply in your work place.


Press for the hot water, at least you then have a choice.





Good luck


A.D.
I don't know about you, but I cannot wash my hands in cold water. They just don't feel clean after. When I wash my hands, the water is actually scolding hot. lol I like it better that way coz I feel cleaner with hot water compared to cold water.
The warm water is just more comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment