Thursday, December 24, 2009

When you buy produce from the store do you wash it with soap and water or just water.?

I was at the Center for Disease Control site (Swine flu research) and I came across an unrelated subject. They suggest washing produce with soap and water. I always used a scrub brush (when applicable) and water. Do you use soap?When you buy produce from the store do you wash it with soap and water or just water.?
If I am gonna cook it I just wash it in tap water and maybe use a brush if needed. If I am gonna eat it raw, I was it with mild soapy water.





This is a good question for seniors/elderly. As you get older your resistance to certain pathogens wanes. If you get a serious stomach or lower track infection you could end up in the ER screaming your head off.When you buy produce from the store do you wash it with soap and water or just water.?
Thanks for BA. Yeah I been to the ER for the same reason. I was sick for days after as well. Report Abuse

To disinfect raw foods, I rinse off the dirt and grit, then I have a spray bottle of white vinegar, and an opaque spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide (regular 3%). Spray first with the vinegar and follow with the peroxide (which breaks down into pure water.) Both are utterly harmless to humans, pets and the environment. This can also be used to disinfect kitchen sink, counter tops (not marble)...effective, safe and cheap. Spray vinegar first, then follow with hydrogen peroxide---it'll remove the vinegar flavor and odor and evaporate.
I keep baking soda in a shaker top jar.


Before I use produce, I wet the item sprinkle on the baking soda %26amp; then rub it real good %26amp; rinse of the produce and soda under running water.


That way if I didn't rinse it as completely as I thought, the baking soda is harmless for me to ingest. But that doesn't happen now that I switched from that soap to baking soda b/c I can feel the soda particles %26amp; that helps me to make sure the produce is thoroughly rinsed.





I feel good w/ this method b/c soap doesn't kill viruses any better than baking soda, but I think the particles of soda would help remove microscopic organism's better than soap. It think of it as an exfoliating scrub my food.
Some things I do. I read somewhere that you have to believe a field picker relieved him/herself on your melon/cucumber/squash/etc, and to scrub them with soap and water and rinse accordingly.


(cuz, think about it, how many port-o-potties are in fields)





Any fruit/veg that grows on the ground, I do just that.





Imagine if you have bacteria on the surface and you slice through it, you bring those bugs right down through the whole piece. Then, you put it in your mouth.
I wash my hands with soap and water; clean my counters, knives, and cutting boards with hot soapy water and a cool rinse; but most of my fresh fruits and veggies I clean with running water and a bit of scrubbing (using clean hands or a clean brush), then pat dry with a clean white kitchen towel or paper towel.





Once in awhile I'll use a dab of soap; when I'm concerned about loosening bacteria, virus, visible dirt, or pesticides. This probably doesn't help much though. I'd be interested in seeing a link to the article you read at the CDC website.
I always wash my stuff. I use soap and water on tomatoes and peppers and fruits like apples, pears and especially peaches as they have a lot of pesticide on them. I rinse the lettuce really good with plain water as even the washed bagged ones are washed in chlorine.
I read somewhere that to clean your sponges you'd wet them and put them in the microwave for a few minutes. With that in mind I determined that heat must kill disease, so now I boil or cook all my vegetables and eat only canned fruit or fruit that the skin comes off easily (like an avacado). So no I don't use soap, I use heat.
I only use soap and water to wash the outside of fruits like cantaloupe or pineapple. I thoroughly rinse all vegetables but do not use soap. I really think we are carrying this cleanliness too far. We do have an immune system to combat some of the germs we ingest. Good common sense is the best protection we can have.
Dish soap in a sink full of cool water. I don't know how clean the hands of the picker were, and I have seen people handling and sniffing (nose touching) produce in the grocery store then setting the item back down. Make sure it is anti-bacterial dish soap, and of course rinse well in cool water.
We rinse off with fresh water. I don't think we have ever had a bad experience so far. Sixty-eight years is proof enough for me. Yes, I know that things are not done now like they once were but I guess I will just continue on as I have always done and take my chances. I do wonder though. If four out of five people suffer with diarrhea does that mean that one out of five people enjoy it ?
I've got this far just by washing them in water, with no problems. I believe that we need to ingest a few bugs here and there to build up our immunity to germs. I also steam or boil those that have to be cooked, so that kills off the germs.
There is a special soap for produce but I've never bought or used it. I use either water or white vinegar and water. Vinegar helps to kill the germs plus it helps to remove oils such as oily pesticides.
No. And I doubt that I ever will. They sell produce ';wash'; in most grocery stores now. I've never tried it, but it says that it doesn't leave any flavors on the produce like soap might.
No, just water and will continue to. I also use a vegetable brush on potatoes and carrots. I had an aunt who always washed chicken with dish detergent and hot water. My mother just rinsed her chicken and veggies. Poppy
I used to only wash it with water, but lately I've started using soap as well...just to be safe. Not only because of bacteria, but because of insect sprays and such.
I use soap for waxy things like cucumbers and bell peppers. Leafy things I just use water because they will absorb soap.
I have always rinsed produce off well with plain water and brush if necessary. I've never used soap. I don't trust that the food has been prewashed.
Just lots of clean water . I think the soap could harm us . Veggies and fruits used to be washed in potassium permanganate , once , to get them germ free .
Nope, generally just rinse in water. However, I steam all veggies and the heat kills most unwantables.
Yes. I use my dish detergent if I am going to eat the peel on fruit but I just wash my veggies. I figured the steam will kill the bacteria or virus.
No never have used soap, only water and as you say a scrub brush.
A solution of dish soap and white vinegar in water seems to do well.


I also wash my home-grown that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment